About

Ana writes about trade and international economics for the New York Times. She previously covered the economy, trade and the Federal Reserve for The Washington Post.

Before that, Ana worked as an editor of Foreign Policy’s South Asia Channel and the editor-in-chief of China Economic Review magazine in Shanghai. Her writing has also appeared in The Atlantic, CNN, Forbes, MarketWatch and other publications.

Ana-Swanson-headshot2 (1)

Ana has appeared as a commentator on NBC, MSNBC, CNBC and Canadian networks including CTV and BNN. She is also a regular contributor to American Public Media’s Marketplace.

Ana has received recognition for her journalism including the Edward R. Murrow award for writing on a video, a Kantar Information is Beautiful award for data visualization, and an honorary mention for explanatory reporting from the Society of Publishers in Asia. She is a founding vice president of the International China Journalists Association.

She has a BA in cultural anthropology from Northwestern University and an MA in international relations with a focus in China and international economics from the Johns Hopkins School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C.

Before moving to Washington, D.C., she lived and worked in China for eight years.

Advertisements

5 thoughts on “About

  1. Dear Ana –
    Regarding your NYT article on tariffs on Chinese goods. There needs to be a much more focused and deeper attempt for the American consumer to understand that they are the foot soldiers in this trade war with China. There is no other way to look at it:

    • China does not pay a single dime of the tariffs,

    • The US Treasury does not collect a single dime of the tariffs,

    • Businesses importing to goods from China pay the tariffs,

    • Business pass on the vast majority of the tariffs to the American Consumer in the form of higher prices.

    • The Chinese tariffs on American goods simply price already too expensive goods out of the market and hurt American workers.

    This is all so straightforward and simple. Trump has started a war he can’t win and the tarries ate nothing more than friendly fire on American who can ill afford higher prices for goods and weaker sales of soybeans and other products.

    Call me quote me but please make it clear to your readers right up front the Trump is the General Custer of this trade war.

    Michael Dee
    M.dee@mac.com
    617-866-3605

  2. Whenever Trump introduces a new policy that hurts the criminals, you clowns make up reasons to scare the American citizens. The world will end if he wins, the stock market will crash, the Korean Peninsula will burn, and on and on you go. It’s time. Get it through your thick skulls. We don’t believe [you] anymore! Take your Avocado’s and shove them up your ass.

    “Avocado Shortages and Price Spikes: How Trump’s Border Closing Would Hit U.S.”

  3. Hello I am moaid from

    I have small project in libya if you are interesting to write about it
    Some newspaper write about it

  4. i see in your article that europe only charges 10% on american cars, but i read elsewhere that countries within europe can add to that. germany for example adds 19% for a total tariff of 29% on american car imports. what are the facts? if you’re wrong, you really need to have that corrected and apologize to your readers.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s